On this page you will find information covering rules and procedures for travel in the Department of Mechanical Engineering. Select a topic below to learn more.
Additionally, more information on UMD travel & policies can be found on the University of Maryland’s Book Travel website.
General Travel Forms & Process
- We encourage you to visit the UMD Travel Services website for complete information. It will provide you with travel policy information as well as provide more detail as to allowable expenses.
- Prior to traveling, you must submit a Travel Approval Form. It is important that you allow at least 2 business days for processing and complete the form in its entirety so it can be processed efficiently.
- Please submit your Travel Approval Request (TAR) Form to Lita Brown.
- Upon completion of travel, you will need to complete and submit an Expense Statement Form to Lita Brown.
- Please do not add your Social Security Number (SSN) to the form. Never store documents containing your SSN on University owned machines and never send your SSN electronically (email or otherwise).
- You must provide proof of attendance in the form of a name badge or copy of the front page of the onsite program you received if your travel involves a conference. If you are attending a meeting, please provide an agenda for documentation purposes.
Meal Expenses & Per Diem
The University reimburses meals on a per diem basis. The current rate is:
- $9 for breakfast
- $11 for lunch
- $25 for dinner.
No receipts are required for meals when claiming on a per diem basis.
For foreign travel, please visit this webpage to obtain per diem rates for the country you plan to travel to. If you are attending a conference which has meals inclusive as part of the program, you cannot claim meal expenses for those meals that are already part of the conference.
Mileage & Car Rentals
- The University reimburses employees for personal mileage at the rate of $.56 per mile. Employees must take care to ensure that normal daily commute mileage is subtracted from the total mileage traveled.
- If you plan to rent a car and are staying at or near the conference or meeting venue, please contact the Business Office staff prior to travel as it must be deemed necessary in order for the car to be reimbursed.
- GPS devices are not reimbursable when renting a car.
- Since the University is self insured, we do not reimburse for additional car rental insurance coverage for U.S. travel. If you are traveling internationally or the travel involves a visitor, this does not apply. Please note, when signing the rental car agreement, you must include the University of Maryland and the State of Maryland on the document for coverage to be effective. The University maintains a fleet system for cars. If you’re traveling locally, you may want to use this option.
- More information about the UMD Motor Pool can be found here.
- If you are combining personal and business travel which requires a change in travel dates or locations (you are extending your trip or returning from a different airport), you need to obtain, in writing, how much the business travel portion airfare would cost at the time you make your reservation.
- If personal travel results in an additional airfare expense, you will be obligated to reimburse the University.
- It is very important that you obtain a cost comparison at the time you make your travel arrangements since it is impossible to obtain after travel has occurred since airfare fluctuates daily.
- In addition, the University ONLY reimburses for single occupancy lodging. If you are traveling with non-business travelers and the lodging expense is greater due to multiple occupants, you will only be reimbursed the single occupancy rate. If there is no difference between single and multiple occupancy rates, you need to provide documentation to verify this.
- If you decide to use Travelocity, Expedia, Orbitz, etc. please keep in mind that they don’t provide detailed hotel receipts so it is your responsibility to obtain documentation showing that they only charged room and tax. Do not book packages through these sites as the University’s requirement of detailed receipts cannot be obtained and packages don’t always provide a breakdown of each component of travel (hotel, airfare, car rental). For this reason, UMD will not reimburse travel if you book it through one of these sites as they don’t provide the necessary documentation. We encourage you to use one of our contracted travel agencies listed on the travel approval form. They are familiar with University policies concerning travel (such as the Fly America Act)
- If you are traveling internationally, unless you provide your credit card statement indicating the monetary conversion rate you were charged, we base our reimbursement to you on the OANDA rates which can be found here.
- With the exception of meals, please provide all receipts. Upon request, taxi providers will generate receipts. Tolls and parking receipts can be obtained as well.